At the foot of the High Line in the Meatpacking District, there is a new awakening. Moving from its former home on the Upper East Side, the Whitney Museum has completed its move, permanently altering the face of this once scruffy enclave. It’s been almost 50 years since the museum opened its doors on 75th Street and in less than two weeks, she’ll open her doors again, this time to a whole new world. This is actually the forth home of The Whiteny, the first being on West 8th Street where in 1930 Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney founded her museum.
The new $422 million building, designed by architect Renzo Piano, sits perched like a glass fortress sporting high ceilings and stepped terraces. The lobby will feature a bookstore and a Danny Meyer restaurant.